Makes 1 tree.
|- 2 cups seasoned sushi rice
|- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry & cut into strips
|- 1 avocado, cut into strips
|- piece of yellow bell pepper
|- 1 bunch chives, chopped finely
- Place a sheet of soy wrapper on a sushi mat, dull side up. With wetted hands and a wetted 1/2 cup measure, spread out 1/2 cup of rice on the sheet of nori, leaving a 2″border at the top and a 1/2″ border at the bottom.
- Place slices of red pepper and avocado across the rice, 1″ from the bottom border of the rice.
- Roll the mat upwards holding the filling in with your fingers. Continue rolling up to create a tight roll. Use light dabs of water on the edge of the wrapper to help seal the roll.
- Cut each roll into 8 equal pieces by cutting each log in half, then each half into 4 pieces.
- Start creating the tree by placing the rolls on a board or plate. For the base layer, use about 12-13 pieces, placed side-by-side in a circular shape.
- For the next layer, I use about 7-8 pieces of sushi, again placing them side-by-side in a circular shape.
- The third layer from the bottom will have about 5 pieces.
- The fourth layer from the bottom will have 3 pieces, and the last top layer will just have 1 piece!
- Use a small star cookie cutter to cut out a star from a piece of yellow bell pepper. Stick a toothpick in the center of one side, then stick the free end of the toothpick into the top piece of sushi. Finish by scattering chopped chives on top.
Click here for recipe card.